Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Hayes & Yeading United 3
Half-Time: 1-0 Referee: Mr C Phillips

A very youthful United reserve side dominated the visitors at the Warren this afternoon and came away with a three goal victory courtesy of goals from current under 18's Dan Mehmet, Jake Lovell and Ollie Fayed.

The Spitfires created an opening after just 41 seconds when Arron Milburn found space on the edge of the area but he pulled his shot just wide of John Peacock's right hand post.

From then on United were to take control, Josh Andrew raced at the Eastleigh defence before sliding the ball to Jake Lovell but his shot was caught by Andy Wynn in the Spitfires goal. With just 16 minutes played United were forced into a change when Ray Curtis, who had received an injury the previous week, was replaced at the heart of the defence by Charlie Wassmer.

Esmond James, playing in his original right back position, surged into the area but his shot was deflected wide by the sliding Niall Bryant. Minutes later skipper Ollie Fayed turned and sent Lovell towards goal but having beaten Aaron Blaxall, the striker saw his cross go off defender Justin Hall's shin, just clearing his own bar. The resultant corner was partially cleared to Dan Mehmet but his volley was just off target.

As we reached the midway point of the half the deadlock was finally broken. Lovell found space on the right side of the Spitfires area and duly picked out his strike partner Mehmet who fired past Wynn from six yards out.

With the visitors only offering a Milburn volley that was high and wide of the goal, it was United who continued to press for a second. Wynn gathered a Wassmer header from a Fayed free-kick and as the half closed Mehmet found himself in a good position but not trusting his left he moved the ball to Andre Costa and he blasted over the goal from ten yards out.

The second period started in pouring rain and with just seven minutes played Wynn was required to keep the deficit to one as Mehmet bounced a header from a James cross towards the top corner, the keeper getting his finger tips to the ball to see it over the bar.

The game was effectively won by United in a sixty second spell as the visitors net was breached twice. A long Dimitar Ivanov clearance was superbly controlled by Mehmet who turned and sent Lovell through only for the striker to be tripped inside the area. Lovell picked himself up and duly beat Wynn from the spot. Next to find the net was Fayed with the goal of the game, having picked up the ball twenty yards out with his back to goal, the midfielder turned his marker and curled a perfect shot past Wynn into the top corner.

With Peacock almost redundant in the United goal the only surprise was that the scoring had been completed. James, not for the first time, ran more than half the length of the pitch, this time finding Mehmet with his pass but he fired wide from 12 yards. Andrew then went close with a header having beaten Wynn in the air and nine minutes from time Wynn made the save of the game as he twisted in mid air to tip over a James Walters volley. The resultant corner caused more trouble as Wynn let the ball slip from his grasp but fayed was denied on the line by a last ditch tackle.

Report by Kevin Watts.

United Line-up: John Peacock, Esmond James(Baki Kunete), Dimitar Ivanov, Karol Szalai, Ray Curtis(Charlie Wassmer), James Walters, Josh Andrew, Ollie Fayed(Dean Crabb), Jake Lovell, Dan Mehmet, Andre Costa.
Mehmet(23), Lovell (59 pen), Fayed(60).
Lelo (6).