Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Hayes & Yeading United 2
AFC Wimbledon 1
Half-Time: 1-1 Referee: Mr B Lynch

Colin Davis and his reserve side signed off their Suburban League campaign with an entertaining 2-1 comeback victory over AFC Wimbledon at Church Road.

United started well against the 4th placed
Wombles and should have taken a 3rd minute lead, Jake Lovell showed an excellent first touch and played Joao Da Silva through but with just keeper Liam Poupart to beat he fired wide of the target. Minutes later Poupart was again in action holding on to a stooping Lovell header from a Dimitri Ivanov cross.

The visitors started to find some momentum of their own with pacey Harrow Borough striker Jonathan Constant a constant threat, if you'll pardon the pun, the young striker burst into the box and fired across goal but inches wide of the upright.

Just a couple of minutes later Chris Hussey crossed deep and picked out Amadou Kohman unmarked at the far post but his header was far too high to trouble John Peacock in the United goal. Then midway through the half disaster struck for United when Peacock and Ray Curtis got too close to each other and the young defenders back pass went past his own keeper and Constant won the race to tap home an opener for Wimbledon.

Peacock was well placed minutes later to gather a drive from Hussey and then a mazy run from his own half saw Esmond James move into the Wombles area and fire goalwards, his shot was parried by Poupart and when the ball fell to Ollie Fayed he was unable to turn quick enough and the ball was hacked clear.

Ten minutes before the break United found a deserved equaliser, Lovell played the ball to Fayed down the left flank and his cross was forced home at the far post by Da Silva.

AFC started the second half quicker and could have gone ahead just three minutes in when a long ball sent Constant away but having cut inside Curtis he saw his drive fly across the face of goal and wide of the far post. Da Silva was then provided with another good chance when a combination of Lovell and Josh Andrew sent the striker through against Poupart again, sadly this time his effort was too high.

Wimbledon then had a little purple patch where they had three good chances to take the lead. Tommy Higgins drove the ball across the six yard box with no touch from his strikers and then Constant set up Higgins again but this time his drive cannoned back off the upright and was cleared. Within seconds the ball was again on the edge of the United box and this time required Peacock to keep it out as he palmed away a fierce Constant volley from just inside the area.

As the game entered its last ten minutes it looked as if the home side would be the ones to take the victory and with three minutes remaining they duly delivered. Lovell had just gone fractionally wide with a diving header before the terrier like striker chased down James Healy having been dispossessed in the area. Lovell duly won back the ball, turned and dumped Healy on the deck before crossing perfectly to Fayed who fired past Poupart from close range to secure three points for United.

Report by Kevin Watts.

United Line-up: John Peacock, Esmond James (Diyenli Omer), Dimitri Ivanov (Harry Shankster), Matthew Madders, Ray Curtis, Charlie Wassmer, Josh Andrew, Mohamed Dikuizia, Jake Lovell, Joao Da Silva (Andre Costa), Ollie Fayed. Subs not used: Karrol Szalai, James Walters.
Da Silva (35), Fayed (87).
Constant (22).